Life of a Bug

Friday, July 11, 2008

मृगतृष्णा

One of my oldest memory is of the day, lying outside on the string cot, on a pleasant winter afternoon। One of those days from the good old memories of good old Dehradun।
What is MmmmMrag.... umm , I had asked ,turning on to one of the pages with a deer drawn in the background and some very difficult word written as title of poem.
My Mother told me it is 'मृगतृष्णा' (Mrigtrishna) - a word that is made up of two words : Mrig + Trishna.She had patiently explained the poem - I do not remember the poem but remember it's meaning.She did not need her doctorate in Hindi literature , as its a common knowledge in India- The story of Musk Deer.That time when she explained- I did not know what is 'musk' but had seen deer at deer park @ malsi, a local deer habitat/zoo/park.
She has told- The deer gets the strong smell of musk from inside his body. He spends his whole life in search of the source of the smell.Why does none tell him that he is the source of that smell and he has to just look inside? That was my thought then and may be I even asked her- I do not remember.
Years have passed since then- I still do not know if its just a myth or a scientific truth, if the musk deer spends his life chasing after the smell or not. I know for sure though- the lines have much deeper meaning. Little did I know then , that this will become the story of my life. I know the 'satisfaction' am searching for is within me but it is guess it is not that easy to resign to the fact. I know it is not my story alone and everyone feels that way, may be everyone is equally restless. I do not know. How else could 'I still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' by U2 be such a big hit?

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home